Common Misconceptions on Performance and Sport Psychology
Performance and Sport Psychology myths addressed below. These performance and sport psychology myths prevent individuals from seeing a performance enhancement consultant for help to improve their performance.
1. Sport Psychology and Performance Psychology are two different fields.
Truth: Sport Psychology is Performance Psychology.
2. Sport psychology techniques also known as sport psychology skills only help elite athletes improve their performance.
Truth: Sport psychology techniques also known as sport psychology skills help athletes and coaches of all levels improve their performance. This includes youth athletes, young athletes, recreational athletes, amateur athletes, and elite athletes.
3. Sport Psychology techniques only help performance in sports.
Truth: Performance enhancement skills used in sport psychology helps improve performance in any field and any aspect of life. Performance enhancement skills helps improve the performance of individuals in the military and in the business field.
4. Mental skills coach, mental skills consultant, mental performance consultant, mental skills instructor, sport psychology consultant, and SPC all specialize in different things.
Truth: Different titles for individuals who specialize in the same thing helping with performance issues.
5. A sport psychologist is a person who has a PhD in sport psychology.
Truth: The title sport psychologist is deceiving. A sport psychologist has a PhD in counseling psychology or clinical psychology. A sport psychologist completed coursework in sport psychology as part of their graduate education.
6. A person who has a PhD in sport psychology is Not a mental performance consultant. A mental performance consultant is also known as a performance enhancement consultant, sport psychology consultant, and mental skills coach.
Truth: A person who has a master’s degree in sport psychology and a person who has a PhD in sport psychology is a mental performance consultant. Other names for a mental performance consultant are performance enhancement consultant, sport psychology consultant, or mental skills coach.
7. A person who has a master’s degree in sport psychology specializes in mental health and performance issues.
Truth: A person who has a master’s degree in sport psychology specializes only in helping with performance issues.